Saturday, October 25, 2014

Making bullets.



As our followers know, we love colonial reenacting and living history. Dustin was very excited recently when we bought bullet molds to make our own ammunition for our muzzleloaders. Here, he dug old bullets out of a stump he had used for target practice to make into new bullets. This is something the pioneers would have done, as lead was too precious to waste.



A close-up of the molds.



Dustin built a small fire and fashioned a stick handle to extend the arm of the melting ladle. The lead begins to melt and becomes liquid quickly.



 Dustin has the molds at ready and quickly pours the molten lead. The metal cools even faster than it melts and if you pause while pouring you will have air spaces that deform the bullets.






Esther with a shiny new round ball. Just let them cool first! Never pop one right out of the mold into your open palm! 



A small stub of extra lead must be snipped off of the balls before they are ready to use. The bullet molds have built-in, handy snippers just for this job.









The results are certainly gratifying: A pile of spent lead is now ready to shoot again. We saved some change and had a lot of fun in the bargain!


2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I always love hearing what your amazing family is spending time on. Love from the Shepherds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just found your blog, and I am overjoyed! You see, homesteading has been my dream ever since I was little, and I hope will never change in my 15 year old mind. I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts, and am hoping for more:-) I would love to read and learn more about how your homestead runs, ect. I love the pictures as well. So thank you for blogging, and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete